(1972- ) UK Television and Cinema scriptwriter and book author whose career began in television with work on the fantasy series Highlander: The Series (1991). He began doing scripts in his own right with Screaming Night (2002) directed by John Henry Richardson; later films include Rise of the Gargoyles (2009) directed by Bill Corcoran, Legendary (2013) directed by Eric Styles, and others. He has also been involved in Comics.
Briggs began to publish novels of genre interest with two simultaneous linked Young Adult series: the HERO.COM sequence beginning with Rise of the Heroes (2008), whose young protagonists find they can download Superpowers shaped to do good from the Internet; and the VILLAIN.NET sequence beginning with Council of Evil (2008), whose young protagonists similarly find they can download Superpowers shaped to do evil. Central to the first series is the Hero Foundation, which the cast belongs to; in the second series the Council of Evil serves a similar function. There is much action as the two sequences begin to mesh and clash. Tarzan: The Greystoke Legacy (2011) begins the Tarzan series of Ties to the Tarzan franchise.
Two singletons, of perhaps wider interest, have followed this work: the young protagonists of Drone Race (2018) hijack a drone in order to attempt to win a racing championship; but the drone turns out to be powered by a mouthy AI. Races are won; dangers mount. Of somewhat greater interest may be CTRL+S (2019), set in a Near Future London; the young protagonist of the tale must immerse himself in a multi-layered Virtual Reality universe in a quest for his missing mother, but finds, once within the coils of this implied Multiverse, that his perilous adventures are being "harvested" for the delectation of the rich. Implications that this is life as usual in another key are subdued. [JC]
born Liverpool, England: 27 September 1972
- Council of Evil (Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, 2008) [VILLAIN.NET: pb/Dominic Harman]
- Dark Hunter (Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, 2008) [VILLAIN.NET: pb/Dominic Harman]
- Power Surge (Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, 2009) [VILLAIN.NET: pb/Dominic Harman]
- Collision Course (Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, 2010) [VILLAIN.NET: pb/Dominic Harman]
- Iron Fist (London: Scholastic Press, 2016) [The Inventory: pb/]
- Gravity (London: Scholastic Press, 2016) [The Inventory: pb/]
- Black Knight (London: Scholastic Press, 2017) [The Inventory: pb/]
- Winter Storm (London: Scholastic Press, 2018) [The Inventory: pb/]
- Drone Race (London: Scholastic, 2018) [pb/]
- CTRL+S (London; Orion, 2019) [pb/Shutterstock/Alamy]
Previous versions of this entry