Working name of US anthologist, packager and writer William Brian Fawcett (1947- ), much of whose work – especially his edited or packaged products – has been anonymous [the Checklist below is certainly incomplete]. His fiction has generally been collaborative: examples include the Gamebook Combat Command in the World of Robert Asprin's Cold Cash War: Cold Cash Warrior (1989) with Robert Asprin, and Lord of Cragslaw (1989) with Neil Randall, the latter a novel tied to the Guardians of the Three sequence about a civilization of cats [for Checklists of books with David A Drake and Christopher Stasheff, see below; for further details, see their entries]. With Chelsea Quinn Yarbro he wrote the Mycroft Holmes pastiches (see Sherlock Holmes; Steampunk) beginning with Against the Brotherhood: A Mycroft Holmes Novel (1997) as by Quinn Fawcett, their joint pseudonym for the entire series.
Solo, Fawcett was responsible for the SwordQuest fantasy sequence beginning with SwordQuest: Quest for the Unicorn's Horn (1985) and closing with SwordQuest: Quest for the Elf King (1987). As anthologist, he created the War Years sequence of Ties, including War Years #1: The Far Stars War (anth 1990), #2: The Siege of Arista (anth 1991) with Stasheff, and #3: The Jupiter War (anth 1991). Also with Stasheff, he edited The Crafters (anth 1991) and The Crafters #2: Bellsings and Curses (anth 1992), and with Robert Silverberg he edited Time Gate (anth 1989). Further solo anthologies include Cats in Space and Other Places (anth 1992), the Bolo sequence set in the universe created by Keith Laumer beginning with Bolos: Honor of the Regiment (anth 1993), and singletons like The Warmasters (anth 2002) or We Three Dragons (anth 2005), which tend to be conducted with a somewhat industrial efficiency. [JC]
see also: Shared Worlds; Star General.
William Brian Fawcett
as solo editor (but see below)
- Bolos: Honor of the Regiment (New York: Baen Books, 1993) [anth: tie: Keith Laumer featured on cover, but did not edit: Bolo: pb/Paul Alexander]
- Bolos: The Unconquerable (New York: Baen Books, 1994) [anth: Keith Laumer featured on cover, but did not edit: Bolo: pb/Paul Alexander]
- Bolos: Last Stand (New York: Baen Books, 1997) [anth: Keith Laumer featured on cover, but did not edit: Bolo: pb/Paul Alexander]
- Bolos: Old Guard (New York: Baen Books, 2000) [anth: Keith Laumer featured on cover, but did not edit: Bolo: pb/Dru Blair]
- Bolos: Cold Steel (New York: Baen Books, 2002) [anth: Keith Laumer featured on cover, but did not edit: Bolo: pb/David Mattingly]
individual titles as editor
series as collaborative editor
individual titles as editor
This listing includes single-volume contributions to anthology series.
- Time Gate (New York: Baen Books, 1989) with Robert Silverberg [anth: Time Gate: pb/David Mattingly]
- The Day the Magic Stopped (New York: Baen Books, 1989) with Christopher Stasheff [anth: pb/]
- The Warmasters (New York: Baen Books, 2002) [anth: hb/David Mattingly]
- Masters of Fantasy (New York: Baen Books, 2004) with Brian Thomsen [anth: hb/Jeff Easley]
- We Three Dragons (New York: Tor, 2005) [anth: pb/Gregory Manchess]
- Liftport: Opening Space to Everyone (Decatur, Georgia: Meisha Merlin, 2006) [anth: pb/David Mattingly]
- Here Be Dragons: Tales of DragonCon (Rockville, Maryland: Wildside Press, 2008) [anth: pb/]
- Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe (New York: Tor, 2013) with J E Mooney [anth: Gene Wolfe: hb/Roger Ressmeyer/Science Fiction Faction/Getty Images]
- By Tooth and Claw (New York: Baen Books, 2015) [anth: Exiled: pb/Stephen Hickman]
Previous versions of this entry